OUR INNER VOICE DOES HELP US!
5 Powerful Ways to Strengthen Your Inner Voice
1. Change “I can’t” to “I can’t YET.”
The words you repeatedly use with yourself matter. “I can’t do this” shuts the door. “I can’t do this yet” leaves room for learning, practice, and improvement. The book recommends replacing fixed-mindset language with growth-oriented language: “I’m bad at this” becomes “I’m learning this.” A setback becomes information rather than a verdict on your ability.
2. Stop asking “Why me?” and ask “What’s my next step?”
When something goes wrong, your inner voice can keep you trapped in the problem—or move you toward action. Resilient people concentrate on what they can influence. Instead of repeatedly thinking about what happened, what someone else did, or what you cannot change, identify the next thing that is within your control. One constructive action can begin restoring a sense of agency.
3. Don't turn one bad moment into your identity.
There is a huge difference between “I made a mistake” and “I'm a failure.” One describes an event; the other labels the person. The same applies to “I'm struggling with this right now” versus “I always struggle.” Using temporary and specific language prevents a setback from becoming a permanent story you tell yourself about who you are.
4. Become your own coach—not your own worst critic.
When you're under pressure, acknowledge what you're feeling without allowing that emotion to dictate the rest of the conversation. You can tell yourself: “This is difficult. I've handled difficult situations before.” The goal isn't fake positivity. It's developing an inner voice that recognizes reality while reminding you of your capacity to respond.
5. Train your inner voice the same way you train your body.
Mental toughness isn't created by one motivational speech any more than physical strength is created by one workout. It develops through repetition. Every time you catch a destructive thought, reframe a challenge, acknowledge progress, or continue despite discomfort, you're practicing resilience. Our Inner Voice describes these small choices as having a compound effect: micro-choices repeated over time can produce major changes in mental toughness.
ISO QUICK TAKEAWAY
You don't control every thought that enters your mind.
But you can decide which thoughts you train.
CATCH IT. QUESTION IT. REFRAME IT. REPEAT.
That's how you turn your inner critic into your inner coach.

Comments
Post a Comment