SCREW IT, THE LAWN CAN WAIT......NEED A RECHARGE NAP!
NAP IS GREAT! 💤
I’ve been a nap fan for years. Some people see a daytime nap as wasted time. I see it as a way to make the rest of the day better.
Let’s put my 30-minute nap into perspective. Half an hour a day adds up to 182½ hours a year—about 7½ days. Over 80 years, that would be roughly 1.7 years spent napping.
According to me, that’s a bargain. It does not mean naps shave 1.7 years off your lifespan. It means you’ve chosen to spend some of your time resting. I’d rather be awake and engaged for the rest of the day than drag myself through it just to say I never stopped.
What can a nap actually do?
💤 Ease sleepiness. A brief nap can help when your energy dips, especially after a poor night’s sleep.
🧠Restore alertness. That can make it easier to return to a task and pay attention instead of pushing through a mental fog.
🙂 Lift your mood. Research on daytime naps has found improvements in how alert and positive people feel afterward.
📚 Support learning and memory. Sleep helps the brain process information. Some nap studies have found memory benefits, although the result depends on the person, the nap, and what researchers test.
A recent study highlighted in the news put naps to a tougher test. Researchers kept 54 healthy young adults awake for 30 hours. Then one group took a 90-minute nap, another did 20 minutes of exercise, and a third did neither. The nap and exercise groups performed about 22% better on a later image-memory test than the group that did neither.
I love that result, but let’s keep it honest: the researchers tested a 90-minute nap after extreme sleep loss. They did not prove that a 30-minute nap every day adds years to your life or gives everyone a 22% memory boost.
How do I make a nap work for me? I keep it short enough to fit my day, set an alarm, and allow myself a little time to wake up. Some people feel groggy after 30 minutes; if that happens to you, try 15 to 20 minutes. An earlier afternoon nap may also be kinder to your nighttime sleep than a late one.
And if you are so tired that driving or another safety-critical task feels risky, a quick nap is no substitute for getting enough sleep and being fully alert before you continue.
To me, a nap isn’t surrender. It’s a reset. I’m not losing half an hour. I’m giving the rest of my day a better chance.
—Kevin B. DiBacco
Research: https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2528246123
The duration and alertness guidance comes from CDC and NIH; the memory comparison comes from the published study.

Comments
Post a Comment